The school would like you all to sign up for emergency e-mail and text notifications. This is a good thing to do. Check it out on the main SDCE site. www.sdce.edu. Look under quick links at the bottom of the page. Check e2CE notifications. Check it out !!!!! You will be glad you did.
Patternmaking Certificate news: It seems that the school ran out of certificates for Patternmaking for the Fall 2012 semester. They need to be remade. I will let you know when they are ready.
Last week, in Draping, we had measuring day on Monday night and on Wednesday night, we made our patterns in a great program called Patternmaker. You can check out the program at: www.patternmakerusa.com. This program is $400 and it is great! The patterns were printed in a program called cute PDF. Cute PDF writer is a free program if you need to make PDF files. www.cutepdf.com. This weekend, we all went to our Local Staples, (all except the one on Rosecrans. For some reason, they just can’t seem to plot the pattern.) and had our pattern plotted out on a wide 36 inch printer. For the same price as a regular pattern, you get a customized pattern to your measurements. And this week, we get to cut our patterns out, with customized 1 inch seam allowances, try them on, and then cut them out of our non-stretch denim. We are on our way, to customized dress form covers !!!!!!
Our zippers came in !!! Due to the fact that I missed the cut off for Chinese New Years, I had to buy a slightly longer zipper, (by 5 inches), from their stock in the US. I am sure you will be pleased. I will be giving them out during Monday night’s class.
I got an email from Mesa College. They are sponsoring a lecture called: “Behind the Scenes of the Fashion Reality Show called Fashion Stars (NBC)” The lecture will be at Mesa on February 20th @ 4 PM. I was wondering how many of you want to attend ????? Let me know. If enough of you want to go, I will see if I can schedule a field trip.
Last week in our Portfolio class, we cut our patterns out, and had a lesson on fusing and marking. On Thursday, we laid out our fabric, on grain with the patterns. We learned a valuable lesson in commandment 12: Respect Thy Grainlines. This commandment will make all your garments look professional along with commandment #14: Thine iron is thy friend.
Now, you can cut your portfolio patterns at home. This is better than cutting them on the hallway floor. (Although I will tell you, that I have cut my patterns on fabric on floors for a long long time.) This coming Tuesday, we will learn how to take care of straight stitch sewing machines and sergers. We will go over again, the lesson on fusing, marking and edge finishing. On Thursday, we will begin our “Sew Along with Joanie” sewing with practicing our control sheets and making plain seams. By this coming Thursday…..everything should be cut, fused, marked and serged. All instructions are in the handouts, your text, or you can go to www.sewing.org or www.YouTube.com. I promise, the pace of the class will slow down from this point.
Check out your fellow student’s website. He does a great job !!!!!! www.fokai.tv. He has distribution around the world. How exciting !!!!!
http://www.dzgns.com/blast2013/coops/2013_02_Newsletter/DesignsPlus/index.html?utm_medium=enewsletterpage&utm_campaign=feb Free handbag project. Very cute !!!! Although the embroidery designs for this handbag are NOT free, they can easily be imitated with free motion embroidery and a little imagination.
Trend Report Spring 2013 Clothing 03 February, 2013 Written by Jolie Angie
Spring is almost in pipeline. Means we must know what to wear in spring 2013. As fashion changes continuously and we fashionistas love to wear what’s in trend, so therefore we must first know the trends. Not only fashionistas and fashion fanatics but other people who do not strictly follow trends must know at least what’s in trend. There’s a complete clothing trend report for you.
1. Black & White The Classic Contrast: Black and white contrast is in. Many designers like Jason Wu, Prabal Grunge, Alexander Wang and Philip Lim created this classic black and white look on the runway. I think this is the everlasting hottest combination.
2. Collage Look: The mixing of patterns and patches of different textures to make a dress is in thing for spring 2013. You must at least add one piece like this one. Proenza Schouler, Preen, Derek Lam, Thakoon and many others showcased this look.
3. The Electric Palette: Popping bright bold colors are best for spring. Rock a bit with those colors along with black and white.
4. Frill that flounce: Wear flowing frills that dance on your dress. Either big or small, diagonal or vertical Frills are must for summer. Chloe`, J.W.Anderson and Gucci created those perfect flouncy frills.
5. Global Chic: Marchesa, Peter Som, Marc Jacob, Thakoon and Tory Burch showcased what’s happening in fashion all around the globe.
6. Leather Love: Its a good news for leather lovers to wear leather in Spring either in the form of long cats, jackets or frocks. I love leather pieces at Burberry, Carven, DKNY, Jason Wu and special one The Balmain.
7. Sheer Veils: Sheer fabric with a veil look is in thing for spring 2013. Wear some frocks and floor length sheer maxi gowns that looked like veils. Ladies looked like warped in sheer veils at Marchesa, Carolina Herarra, Azzaro and Alberta Ferreratti.
8. Stripes: Marc Jacob, Tommy Hilfiger, PPQ, Vivienne Tam and mnay other showcased stripes in all angles. So wear stripes either big or small, wide or thin or in any color combination.
February is American Heart Month.
Heart Attack Prevention is as easy as A B C!
Become more active
Choose good nutrition
Sounds simple doesn’t it?
So why is coronary heart disease the single major cause of death, and stroke the No. 3 killer in the U.S.? One reason is lack of commitment to a heart-healthy lifestyle. Your lifestyle is not only your best defense against heart disease and stroke, it’s also your responsibility. By following these three simple steps, you can reduce all of the modifiable risk factors for heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
Heart Attack Warning Signs
Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:
Ø Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
Ø Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
Ø Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
Ø Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
Ø Women are somewhat more likely to experience shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain.
Even if you’re not sure it’s a heart attack, tell a doctor about your symptoms. Minutes matter! Fast action can save lives. Don’t wait more than five minutes to call 9-1-1 or your emergency response number.
For more information on heart conditions and heart health, visit: www.americanheart.org
· Make Money with your Skills !©
San Diego Continuing Education
Hospitality & Consumer Science